Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Warmth

I used to say that I would hate to live in Hawaii. Sure, it would be glorious all year round, but what about the seasons? What about change? Seriously, who would want a sunny Christmas? There is just something about the unexpected weather patterns of Utah...

Then again, at this point in the year, Hawaii's looking pretty good. I am tired of the cold, tired of the snow, and tired of the blasted winter!

Well, a few days ago the dogs and I went for a walk around the neighborhood, and the most wondrous thing happened. Guy sniffed around some hedges, and we found a splendid little plot full of crocus flowers in full bloom. The beautiful Dutch Crocus--one of the first flowers to bloom in the Spring, a sign that maybe the misery is over! A sign of life amid the cold, a burst of color after a much too-long faded winter.

Think that's good? It gets even better. Today Guy was especially caught up with spring fever, so just a little after lunch we found ourselves on our third walk of the day--I just can't say no to those big brown eyes. The sun was out and not a cloud in the sky--it was glorious, purely glorious. We stopped and said a quick hello to the Crocus, but on our way home we found a new friend--A daffodil! A yummy yellow daffodil! I couldn't believe my eyes. Now there's a true sign of Spring. What a joy these little flowers are. If Guy had an attention span beyond 2 seconds, I would have stopped and soaked in their beauty beneath the warming sun.
Aren't daffodils just a happy little flower? Not quite as cheery as daisies, but still quite pleasant.

I can't wait to see what other beauties will pop up on our walk tomorrow. Hopefully the tulips will be visiting soon!

No comments: