Thursday, November 11, 2010

white fog

Sometimes we create this ideal of happiness, which is just fine--even needed to an extent--but the trouble is that then we have a hard time seeing happiness as anything but this single ideal that we've created. Happiness takes infinite forms, if only we would take the time to see them. Sometimes we project this ideal of happiness on others, and cannot accept that they are happy until they have all we desire for them--again, caring about someone and wanting the best for them is a GOOD thing--but sometimes we can be happy even without those things. Here's a dumb example: I think that happiness is a warm puppy, so I could go around thinking that everyone without a dog doesn't REALLY understand what happiness is, and I may want everyone to have a dog so that they can be happy. But the fact is, some people can be happy without a dog--some people may even want a dog, but maybe they can't have one right now, but that doesn't mean that they can't be happy while they are waiting for that wonderful day when they can have a dog. Even I could find happiness without a dog--it wouldn't be easy, trust me, but that doesn't mean it's impossible--I mean, why not? Why must we project this ideal of happiness on one another, and on ourselves? Happiness is more than one thing or moment--joy can be found everywhere, even the here and now. We don't just have to wait for the future. If you won't even try to see beyond this projection--however well intended it may be--you have of me, then you'll never be able to really see me. If you can't believe that I'm happy, then I'll never be happy in your eyes. Love is funny that way; sometimes we care so much that we can't see what may already be there. Let me be me, even if it's not as perfect as you would have hoped--in the end I bet it actually is better than you think it is.


"He had only seen and heard the world as it always was: NO BOUNDARIES, ONLY TRANSITIONS THROUGH ALL DISTANCES AND TIME..."

No comments: