Monday, November 15, 2010

The singing will never be done

This weekend I attended the BYU Singers and Concert Choir show and was thoroughly enriched. I love music, just in case you didn't already know. It's what makes the world go round. I loved all the pieces--which is rather surprising, I'm not usually so into every one of them, but I felt that the program was extremely well done. However, I will have to pick one particular one out, if only because it is reminiscent of my dearest London Town--it's a song by Dominick Argento, but the poem is by Sigfried Sassoon, a favorite war poet. This is probably the happiest poem I have ever read coming out of Sassoon, haha--yet I still love it. There is so much beauty in these words, I love it! Enjoy:

Everyone Sang

Everyone suddenly burst out singing;
And I was filled with such delight
As prisoned birds must find in freedom,
Winging wildly across the white
Orchards and dark-green fields; on--on--and out of sight.

Everyone's voice was suddenly lifted;
And beauty came like the setting sun:
My heart was shaken with tears; and horror
Drifted away . . . O, but Everyone
Was a bird; and the song was wordless; the singing will never be done.

April 1919

Siegfried Sassoon (1886-1967)

No comments: