Thursday, August 19, 2010

Musée du Louvre

It was a beautiful, clear blue sky morning when I got up early for Bastille Adventures: first stop, Musée du Louvre. THE LOUVRE! Yep, I'm still in awe. You could spend years here and never see it all, and I only had a few hours. It's pretty safe to say that I saw nothing--and yet, I saw so many wonderful things. Some day I will return! But for now, I was able to see the biggies--Da Vinci, Michelangelo, etc.--and we got out before the ridiculously huge holiday rush, so it was most definitely worth it to me.
Inside the pyramid--pretty cool. Seen the Da Vinci code? Yep, right here.
The Mona Lisa--PEOPLE EVERYWHERE. Everyone always says that it's so much smaller than you imagine, so I of course imagined it so much smaller than it ended up being--it's not big, but it's definitely not all THAT small.
But somehow we even made it all the way up to the velvet rope right in front of the Mona Lisa, just feet away from the bullet proof glass.
Another Da Vinci: Virgin of the Rocks.
We got lost in the African wing, and I found this adorable critter:
Last of all, my personal favorite, the classical sculptures:

MICHELANGELO!!!!! The Dying Slave.
MORE MICHELANGELO!!!! The Rebellious Slave. I have a fetish for Michelangelo, but most of his work is in Italy of course, so I was pretty pumped to find the Michelangelo room here. :)
The Winged Victory. Just breath-taking.

Diana of Versailles.
Venus de Milo. Beautiful.

And of course the magnificently romantic Psyche Revived by Cupid's Kiss (Antonio Canova).

I love the Louvre. <3

No comments: