Friday, February 13, 2009

Love Remains the Same

Well, it's official: I'm up and moved out of my beautiful apartment at dear old Carriage Cove. Thanks to my chiari and all the lovely unfortunate occurrences that it brings, I must say goodbye. As I was packing up, the radio decided to play to the occasion:

1. "Don't Go Away" by Buck Cherry--Please don't go away, you're making a mistake...
2.
"Gone Forever" by Three Days Grace--I feel so much better now that you're gone forever...
3. "
Gone" by Daughtry---You said you never would be gone, But you are...

Yes, they all played one after another, in order, and the list goes on.... Seriously? As if it wasn't hard enough for me to leave. Was I doing the right thing?

After days of this cruel joke that the radio stations were playing on me, it finally came to Friday: check out day. I turned in my keys--my last tie to my apartment--and slowly drove to my new/old home. As I drove I chanced turning on the radio--maybe it would run out of these terrible songs. Gavin Rossdale was singing: "Everything will change, but love remains the same..."

Life is all about change. Life IS change, change is life--the two can never be separated. But change doesn't have to be a bad thing. Everything will change, it's inevitable. As my mother loves to tell me, and in the immortal words of Elder Jeffrey R. Holland: REMEMBER LOT'S WIFE. I would add to this great phrase, but I can't; I could never do it justice. As Elder Holland says, "To all such of every generation I call out, "Remember Lot's wife." Faith is for the future. Faith builds on the past but never longs to stay there. Faith trusts that God has great things in store for each of us and that Christ is the "high priest of good things to come." I pray you will have a wonderful semester, a wonderful year, a wonderful life all filled with faith and hope and charity. Keep your eyes on your dreams, however distant, and live to see the miracles of repentance and forgiveness, trust and divine love transform your life today, tomorrow and forever. That is a New Year's resolution I ask you to keep and leave a blessing on you to be able to do, in the name of Him who makes it all possible, even the Lord Jesus Christ, amen."

Remember Lot's wife. The past is past. It was good while it last, but it's time to look to the future. Everything WILL change--but in the end, love will always be there.

No comments: