Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Ministry of Angels

I planned on going to all three hours of church today--my roommate was teaching Relief Society, and the lesson was on Elder Holland's talk THE MINISTRY OF ANGELS, and I really wanted to be there for her and for her always wonderful lessons. However, Satan seems to work extra hard on Sundays, and today just wasn't my day. I tossed and turned all night long, and unfortunately by the time I did get to sleep, it was such that I slept right through my alarm. I woke up just as Relief Society was starting. Blast. I groaned as I limped to the bathroom, feeling once again as if I had been hit by a truck, or maybe even a nice big train today. I could already tell that it was going to be a long and trying day. As if in slow motion, I got ready for church, hoping to make it to sacrament meeting (that is our last meeting). Despite the cold and achy joints I was doing pretty well--ready with time to spare.

As soon as I opened my door I knew I was in trouble--it was snowing. I soon found that it was more of an extremely wet slush than snow, and I tried (somewhat unsuccessfully) to keep my balance as I slipped and slid out to my car. My feet were soaked and I was freezing, but worst of all time was running out. In the back of my mind a little thought crept in, "You know, you don't have to go." I knew it was Satan talking, and I needed to prove him wrong. I fell into the car and started it up, trying to keep my head held high even though my vision was swimming. I flipped on the wipers, but to my dismay the snow was too wet and heavy--it wouldn't budge. GREAT. I grabbed the scraper and tromped out, getting even wetter if that was possible--I could feel my old frostbitten toes creeping up on me. The snow still refused to move, even with the help of the scraper; it was just too wet and mushy. By this point I knew I was late for church, and I was about ready to give up. I threw down the scraper, and on the verge of tears, I yelled to the sky: "You seriously just don't want me to go!" I know it wasn't a huge deal, but Satan knew just which buttons to push with me today, and he was wearing down what little strength I had. It seems that Satan works the hardest on Sundays--he makes it so dang difficult to get to church! I was trying my best, but it just wasn't working out.

Just then, I heard a car horn honk behind me. I whirled around, unaware that anyone else was in the parking lot, and lo and behold there was a fellow member of the ward on his way to church--my good friend Danny Gray. He offered me a ride, and I didn't think twice, I just jumped in and said thank you as much as I could. I couldn't believe it--here I had been so downtrodden, and God had sent me an angel to rescue me, even from something as small and silly as my current predicament.

So while I missed the dear lesson on the Ministry of Angels, I witnessed such a ministry firsthand as I myself was saved by an angel in disguise, sent by a loving Heavenly Father to comfort His troubled daughter.

No comments: